Saturday 13 November 2010

Day 136 shall we call it a blip?

So it has been some time since I have blogged. I have some excuses, I have moved house, moved job, lost my camera (with lots of photos on it), had 4 weeks without an internet connection and 6 without a computer, am rubbish etc. However I suspect we should not dwell upon my inadequacies but should think about the month or two that have gone by without documentation. It is important to note that things are going swimmingly. I have not failed, not even once and still have quite a respectable number of tights which I have yet not worn. So here goes,  despite the dearth of activity on the blogging front I have indeed been doing lots of things.

Following the last post I put together a large (very large) pile of everything in the world that I own and put most of it in storage. I and my clothes jumped into my car and moved into lovely Lucy and George's flat in Brighton whilst I searched for a home of my own. Plunged headfirst into a new job and a new commuter lifestyle I quickly found myself with little time to dedicate to either what I wore or indeed documenting this. During the month I spent there, there were some significant  shoe based Hanger Strike moments; my faithful black flat boots developed a serious ailment of the sole and are currently bagged and waiting for a trip to the special shoe man. My beloved, yet underworn tan vintage boots enjoyed a trip to the special shoe man to have their sole reattached and it promptly fell back off again. Rest assured that they will be joining the black boots on their way to shoe man mark two. My black shoe boots were re heeled and have been stalwarts in the London footwear portfolio. Brown flat boots are looking a bit tired which is an area of concern for the future, but not something I believe we should be too worried about quite yet.

In October I attended 2 weddings and managed to construct a quite contemporary and respectable outfit which I wore to both lovely occasions (I'm not a magician). Apart from the alarming moment when the strap of my dress broke as I changed gear en route to wedding two, there were no wardrobe malfunctions and I felt very proud of myself as I put together an outfit I would probably never have tried to construct had I not been forced. I also wish to note that a lovely lady at wedding 2 told me she was impressed by the practicality of my animal coat. Now, those who know me, and indeed said coat will be aware of the ridiculousness of this statement. Nevertheless I was delighted at the complement and took it as permission to wear the animal to work. Hurrah hurrah hurrah.


And so to my new life...Firstly, I was shocked at the volume of precipitation that issued forth in my first few weeks. I had been told some vicious lies about improved quality of weather down here and have quickly realised that this is broadly fallacy. This has rendered all ballet style footwear largely useless for at least 60% of each week. Tsk. Despite this coming as a shock it has not impacted particularly on the clothing, I have moved from the raining capital of the universe after all. 

What has come as somewhat of a shock is this infernal culture of going out straight after work. Never before have I thought of myself as particularly Northern, or indeed perceived any real difference between Northern and Southern cities in the way they conduct themselves post work. It is apparent that I was sorely mistaken. Whilst up North we (or at least I and my friends) finished work, went home and then got ready to go out, down here it is straight to the pub from work and if you are unlucky on to a club. I have spent an inordinate amount of time in the last month staring into toilet mirrors in horror and trying in vain to backcomb some volume into my hair whilst sending my last email. This of course impacts not only on my face but also on my wardrobe. It is now clear that although I have a plethora of outfits, I don't really have a wardrobe filled with transitional day to night affairs. This is a method of dressing that I have yet to truly familiarise myself with, let alone perfect. I am concerned and a little distressed that it may be some months before I am able to truly remedy this issue. 

Despite this I am delighted to report that over the last month I have not been consumed with any serious levels of discomfort at my lack of shopping. Indeed I have actually found things have been going relatively smoothly which is, of course, most excellent news. Over a third of the challenge behind me I am actually starting to enjoy it and the way it makes me think about what I have and what that can become. 

I will be back very soon 

1 comment:

  1. Great to have you back! It'll be interesting to see how the wardrobe you grew in Manchester will cope in London. Is it feeling the strain of a different fashion scene? Are you feeling more individual? Or has Top Shop et al neutralised the nation?

    ReplyDelete