Saturday 27 November 2010

Day 152: the jumper conundrum

Today I am puzzling over something rather strange. Faithful blog devotees (I think I have a couple) will be well aware that I am a girl with 42 jumpers. This mini-fact has indeed been the subject of numerous conversations over the last few months. Apparently this is an unfathomable quantity of knitwear, particularly for a girl of diminutive stature. Unfortunately, it turns out that quite a few of these jumpers favour style over substance and as I am sure you will agree, given the current meteorological state of affairs, this is somewhat below par. I am freezing, in fact on some days in the last week I have been almost certain that I am about to lose a limb to frostbite.

In a ridiculous twist of fate it appears that although I have more jumpers than the average outdoorsy eskimo, not more than three actually foster any significant amount of heat. This alone would be bad enough, however, this season, the shops are awash with amazing, thick, knitted, novelty jumpers. Even if I had 100 furry wonders I would still crave one of these. As I sit feeling a little worse than chilly, their presence in the shop windows of the capital is almost too much to bear. In particular I am most upset by the proliferation of novelty Christmas jumpers. For many a year I have been searching for the perfect novelty affair and have failed to find one, this year it seems that they are ten a penny and yet it is not to be....sigh.

All of this has made me think a bit about last year, I don't really remember being cold and I don't remember throwing out any jumpers so I struggle to understand how it has come to pass that I have such a lacklustre collection of knitware. I can only imagine that I must have somehow become more sensitive to the cold as a result of living down south. There seems no other explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment